Summer salads are a refreshing and healthy way to enjoy the warm weather, when you want a tasty and nutritious meal but you don’t really feel like heating up the kitchen and overusing the oven. They are also a great way to showcase in-season produce.
With this article we wanted to share with you some tips for creating the perfect summer salad:
- Start with a base of greens: Choose a variety of greens such as lettuce, spinach, arugula, or kale for added nutrients and flavor. You can also mix and match different types of greens for a more interesting salad.
- Add some colour to your plate: Summer is the perfect time to incorporate a wide variety of colorful fruits and vegetables into your salads. Think tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, berries, and mangoes. Not only do they add visual appeal, but they also provide a range of flavors and nutrients.
- Incorporate protein: To make your salad a more well-rounded meal, add some protein such as grilled chicken, tofu, or beans. This will help keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- Experiment with different textures: To add some crunch to your salad, try adding nuts, seeds, or croutons. You can also include softer ingredients such as avocado or boiled eggs for a contrasting texture.
- Don’t forget the dressing: The right dressing can make or break a salad. Choose a dressing that complements the ingredients in your salad and doesn’t overpower them. A light vinaigrette or citrus dressing works well in summer salads. You can also make your own dressing using olive oil, vinegar, and your choice of herbs and spices.
- Use seasonal produce: Summer is a great time to take advantage of the abundance of fresh produce. In-season fruits and vegetables not only taste better, but they are also more affordable. Some in-season options for summer salads include tomatoes, cucumbers, berries, and stone fruits.
- Get creative with ingredients: Be bold. Don’t be afraid to try out new ingredients and flavor combinations in your summer salads. Some unusual but tasty additions include grilled peaches, roasted vegetables, or quinoa.
- Make it a meal: If you want to turn your salad into a more substantial meal, try adding grains such as quinoa, or topping it with a protein-rich ingredient like grilled shrimp or salmon.
- Play with presentation: Don’t be afraid to get creative with the presentation of your summer salad if you are serving guests. You can layer the ingredients in a jar for a portable option, or arrange them on a platter for a more elegant presentation.
- Have fun: The most important tip for creating the perfect summer salad is to have fun with it. Experiment with different ingredients and flavor combinations to find what works best for you. And remember, the best salads are the ones that you enjoy eating.
You can get all of the ingredients you need for your perfect salad at Somerville Plaza. If you need more inspiration, Woolworths has the perfect recipe for you https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/recipes/easy-summer-salad